I can’t believe it’s been more than 2 weeks since I posted, especially since I was all up and determined to post a LOT. Guess that’s what happens with well-made plans? Anyway, I’ve had lots of various things rolling around in my head, and I don’t have the energy to make a cohesive, topical post, so here’s a brain dump.
- I promise this isn’t going to become a food blog, but I have to share a couple of Pinterest successes I had over the weekend:
- BBQ potatoes, named such not because they feature BBQ sauce, but because the cook likes to pair these taters with her favorite BBQ dishes. These are very good, but next time I’ll use Idaho potatoes instead of goldens, I’ll use less broth (I got a bit carried away), and my cooking time was a definite 50+ minutes as opposed to the 35-40 that’s suggested in the recipe (but that might have to do with the type of potato?).
Lasagna roll-ups. I appreciate that this is a meatless dish, because I get kinda tired of always arranging a meal around meat! I loved the spinach and cheese flavors, and I was so happy to see my kids gobbling up a veggie.
- I swear kids know the exact instant you are taking a minute for yourself. I’m sure no one would believe me, but I think Lucy hears the pod pop into the Keurig, my finger hit “Brew,” and then she does her business like a Pavlovian dog. I can’t even count how many times I’ll go to sit down with a hot cup of coffee and I smell a funk in the room and have to tend to it, only to come back to a lukewarm cup of coffee and the temptation to slip into a funk myself.
- Products. I want to talk about products! I love getting good recommendations for items that work for other people, so give me your suggestions and I’ll share the following:
- Urban Decay’s Naked 2 eyeshadow palette. I got this for Christmas from my Hubs, and I have fun playing with it every single time I get ready. It’s not cheap but I can tell it’s going to last me a good, long time. There are a bunch of tutorials online that you can follow to create different looks, but I also like just experimenting. If you want getting-ready time to be fun again, I highly recommend investing in this makeup!
- Scarves. I am by NO means a fashionista (who can afford to be?), but I do love to follow trends wherever I can, and scarves are simply the *easiest* way to update a wardrobe and spruce up old favorites in your closet. I think I got this one at Target for $10? And I just LOVE it.
- More for you…Best pancake mix? Hungry Jack Complete Buttermilk makes the fluffiest, stand-up-to-syrup pancakes every time. Best cleaning aid? Swiffer dusters. I love that I can throw those puppies away when I’m done! Best cheap red wine? Barefoot pinot noir.
- Okay, now it’s your turn! Please share your tried-and-true trusties with me.
- I have a couple of writing projects at hand, and even though I’ve been working on them mentally for several days now, I’m having a block when it comes to sitting down and actually writing. I keep making excuses for myself, like “the kids just really wore me out today,” but I’ve written in the midst of kid chaos before and I know it. I hate when I encounter self-stubbornness. Anybody know a good cure?
Well, that’s about all I have at the moment. Maybe now that I’ve put up a completely fluff post, I can get down to the serious business of my writing projects and sharing some deeper thoughts here on my blog. Thanks to everyone who reads here — I really appreciate it!